As per Wikipedia, a Drone which is also referred to as unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) or remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) by the International Civil Aviation organization (ICAO); is an aircraft without a human pilot aboard. It is controlled either autonomously by onboard computers or by the remote control of a pilot on the ground or in another vehicle. The typical launch and recovery method of an unmanned aircraft is by the function of an automatic system or an external operator on the ground.
Conceptualization of Drones!!!
- The Austrian Balloons
The concept of drones dates back to the mid-1800′s, when Austrians sent off unmanned, bomb-filled balloons as a way to attack Venice on August 22, 1849. Although balloons do not generally meet today’s definition of a UAV, the concept was strong enough that once winged aircraft had been invented, the effort to fly them unmanned for military purposes was not far behind
- World War I
It continued to be developed during World War I, when the Dayton-Wright Airplane Company came up with a pilot less aerial torpedo that would drop and explode at a particular, preset time. Later, in November 1917, the Automatic Airplane was flown for representatives of the US Army. This led the army to commission a project to build an aerial torpedo (is a naval weapon designed to be dropped into water from an aircraft after which it propels itself to the target), resulting in theKettering Bug (an experimental, unmanned aerial torpedo, a forerunner of present-day cruise missiles)which first flew in 1918. While the Bug’s revolutionary technology was successful, it was not in time to fight in the war, which ended before it could be fully developed and deployed.
- World War II
Reginald Denny & the Radio Plane Company was evolved in 1930’s which was earlier known as Reginald Hobby Shops. Reginald Denny served with the British Royal Flying Corps during World War I, and after the war, immigrated to the United States to seek his fortunes in Hollywood as an actor. Denny had made a name for himself as an actor, and between acting jobs, he pursued his interest in radio control model aircraft in the 1930s. He and his business partners formed “Reginald Denny Industries” and opened a model plane shop in 1934. The first large-scale production, purpose-built drone was the product of Reginald Denny. Aerial Torpedoes were used extensively
- Early uses of drones in some or other ways (extensive military use)
1. During Cold War
2. Nuclear Tests were performed using drones to collect radioactive data
3. USSR secret projects were performed using drones
4. Vietnam War
The above mentioned are just a gist of the evolution & history on the concept of drones. The above mentioned facts might be debatable for few, but this is how it is believed to have evolved.
Where are Drones being used currently?
- The Department of Homeland Security – Back and forth along the U.S. border to monitor for people crossing illegally (USA).
- Forest Service – To find and map forest fires in California (USA).
- Some police Departments – Testing them for uses such as photographing accident sites and finding criminal suspects (USA).
The above mentioned are some areas where USA is using drones. This is just to give a gist. The list is exhaustive.
Where these Drones can be seen in near future?
- Agricultural fields – Drones are moving from battlefield to farmer’s field in USA. Advanced sensors & imaging capabilities are giving farmers new ways to increase yields & reduce crop damage.
- Amazon & UPS – Drones to be adopted by them to deliver packages.
- Google & Facebook – Drones will be used by these companies with a motive of delivering internet service from high-altitude balloons to underserved areas. As per the sources, Google is experimenting these drones above New Zealand & Facebook is planning to implement & experiment with Africa. Both have acquired drone manufacturing companies.
- Real Estate – Real estate companies are beginning to use Unmanned Aircraft Systems, better known as drones, to give potential home-buyers bird’s-eye views of properties with a quick fly-by in USA.
- Pizza delivery in India – The so called financial capital of India, Mumbai has seen a Pizza restaurant deliver pizza using a drone. This restaurant experimented in a close 2 km range & was successful.
The above mentioned are some areas where drones will be soon implemented.
Don’t you think this invention was crazy? Don’t you think the application of drones for various purposes is trippy? Want to know more about drones? Technicalities? Functionalities?
Stay tuned… We are coming up with this course shortly!!!